Friday, October 4, 2013

Packages full of care and candy

I know that when my grandmother dies I will be devastated, but I will not have regret. I see her as much as my schedule will allow. I put together a little care package for my mother to give to her, since I won't see her until Tuesday. It's hard to know what to send, since Alzheimer's and depression have robbed her of any interest in anything it seems.

In the package I put two kinds of licorice, yogurt covered raisins, tons of pictures and a teddy bear I gave her when I was 10 and that she gave back to me a few years ago. My mom visited her today and brought her package and reported back to me that my grandmother loved it! I am feeling very encouraged by her enthusiasm and am looking forward to picking up a few things this weekend to start another package for her.

While going through photos to send her it really hit home to me how close we've been my entire life. My second birthday, my ballet recital in first grade, sitting on the couch with her at our house in Monroe with my cat Rusty after one of our many dinner dates, and of course, pictures of us playing Scrabble. We have spent hundreds of hours over our lifetime of friendship together playing Scrabble. It has been a privilege to play with her and tonight I am feeling hopeful that maybe we will break the tiles and board out once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment