Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Everything changes

When we got in the car I turned to my mom and said, "I consider that a successful visit." I explained that this visit reinforced my belief that she is in the right place. 

And that's how I measure a good visit now. Not if she's happy or remembers things well or is doing tricks in her wheel chair in the hallway (which has never happened but it would be cool if it did). That would be too painful for me. I need to just know in my heart that our family made the right decision based on loving her and wanting what's best for her.

She was moved to the big dining room (which she refers to as a very nice restaurant) and has a new table mate, a nice woman in similar condition to her. It was really nice to get see a part of their daily routine today. My uncle was there, having lunch with my grandma, and it reminded me of how many lunches we shared together when I was growing up. My uncle's trucking company was behind my grandparent's house and often if he was working in the garage that day he would join us for lunch. 

It made me smile today, to think about life, always moving and changing, never one day exactly like the last, yet today could be so similar to a day twenty years ago, in the details. 

Everything changes. And tonight I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment